Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Weather Report: Freezing our Derrieres in the Perigord

Well, I had orignally planned to bring more than one light-weight, long-sleeved shirt with me, after monitoring the weather along the coast of Portugal and Spain, but I didn't want all that unnecessary baggage with me for balmy late May and June in southwest France. Wrong. All of Europe is having unseasonably cold and rainy weather. Nights have been down to high 40sF and low 50sF. Today, June 2nd, I have on my usual garb of 4 layers: a t-shirt, my one long-sleeved shirt, my zippered velvety jacket that is not warm, and my goretex jacket. I am not warm. I have not used my goretex jacket so consistently, every day, in the last ten years. Since we arrived in Portugal on April 9th, we have had 4 or 5 sunny days, and maybe 4 warmish days.

*****However, this is a weather report, not a complaint. Portugal, the northwest and north coast of Spain, Bilbao and the Perigord/Dordogne region of France have all been more beautiful than expected. The Perigord is like a magical land of rolling hills, meadows, fields, forests, and ferns. It is full of history and structures that date back to the Romans, and even to prehistoric man. It makes me wish I had the talent of a Steven Spielberg to make a magical, fantastical film of it.

*****Yesterday--among other things--Jean-Louis L. took us to visit some of the family's houses in the area that date back to the late 15th and 16th centuries. What a trip back in time.

*****And, yes, again we are told that "tomorow" will bring sunny, warm weather.

No comments: